When you think of Cape Cod images of beautiful beaches, trails, lighthouses, and picturesque downtowns are sure to come to mind. Unfortunately, ticks should be one of the first things that come to mind as well as they are a threat of the Cape YEAR ROUND. Cape Cod has some of the most amazing outdoor recreation opportunities on the east coast, but if you are not protecting yourself and your property properly you run an increased risk of exposure to Lyme disease, the Powassan virus, and Babesiosis.
What Types of Ticks Can Be Found on Cape Cod?
As of Summer 2020, on Cape Cod you can find 3 types of ticks on the Cape:
1. Deer Tick
The deer tick is also referred to as the blacklegged tick. They can transmit Lyme Disease, Babesiosis, Anaplasmosis and Relapsing Fever. Adult female deer ticks are about the size of a sesame seed and are significantly smaller than the more common Dog Tick. They usually have a reddish lower body with black back markings. They can live around 2 years, eat 3 times during their lives and can contract bacteria, such as Lyme Disease, from hosts during any of the feedings. According to National Geographic, “They must remain attached for at least 24 hours for the bacteria to transmit.”
2. Lone Star Tick
The lone star tick is relatively new to Cape Cod but can be the most aggressive of the ticks found on the Cape. Generally found in long, grassy areas during summer months they get their name from the appearance of a single white star on their backs. If bitten a rash will appear, and medical treatment is always recommended. This tick injects saliva when it bites that can spread and result in paralysis. Other diseases can be transmitted by the lone star tick such as STARI, or Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness.
3. Dog Tick
The most commonly found tick throughout Cape Cod, Dog Ticks, luckily do not carry Lyme Disease but still pose their own risk. Dog ticks are responsible for spreading Rocky Mountain spotted fever and certain types of tularemia. In general, only the adult dog tick will bite humans. The highest risk of being bitten by a dog tick occurs during the spring and summer seasons. Adult dog ticks are about the size of a watermelon seed. (MASS.GOV)
For more info on ticks please see our resources below:
Tick-Borne Illnesses Found on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Deer Ticks
Cape Cod Lone Star Ticks
Cape Cod Dog Ticks
- Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
How to Protect Yourself From Ticks on Cape Cod
There are some important and meaningful steps you can take to protect yourself from ticks on Cape Cod.
- When recreating outside wear light colors so you can easily spot a tick crawling on your clothing. Additionally, mosquitoes are attracted to dark clothing so you are also keeping mosquitoes at bay.
- Wear pants and pull your socks up over your pant legs, this keeps ticks from getting on your bare skin. Wearing tall boots or gaiters can also be helpful.
- There are all sorts of tick repellents but here at Pure Solutions, we suggest looking for an all-natural tick repellent. The fewer harsh chemicals we put on our bodies and in the environment the better.
- Make daily tick checks part of your routine. When you come in from the outdoors and tick exposure is a possibility, throw your clothes in the dryer on high for 15 minutes; this will kill any ticks trying to “take a ride inside”. Then check yourself, your kids and your pets for any ticks. Make sure to inspect your hair and remember that a juvenile tick can be VERY small!
How to Protect Your Property, Event and/or Yard From Cape Cod Ticks
Here are Pure Solutions we provide an all-natural, organic tick and mosquito spray service to homes and properties throughout Cape Cod. Our all natural pest control eliminates ticks and mosquitoes from your yard without the use of toxic chemicals. We also provide organic tick spray for outdoor events such as weddings, fundraisers or performing arts centers. Our tick control yard services for Cape Cod are recurring and involve a trained technician coming out and servicing your property with no contact. Our Field Manager, Bobby McGillivray, grew up on the cape and is familiar with how ticks have affected Cape Cod.
The sign-up process is painless and you will see immediate results as our all-natural tick spray completely eliminates tick and mosquito populations. Pure Solutions products are safe to use around children, pets and the environment. We service Bourne, Falmouth, Sandwich, Mashpee, Barnstable, Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, Brewster, Harwich, Chatham, Orleans, Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro, Provincetown.
Contact us today for a free quote for Cape Cod Organic Tick & Mosquito Control Services!