Your lawn is a place to recreate and enjoy life's simple pleasures, like a BBQ and cold drink. However, there is one pest always looking to ruin your good time. The Culiseta longiareolata, otherwise known as the mosquito. Typically, homeowners will slather themselves in insect repellent or utilize other mosquito control options. But one of the best things you can do is remove those areas that promote mosquito breeding around your property.An adult female mosquito lays about 100-400 eggs in clusters called rafts (which float on the surface of the water) or eggs may be laid singly on the surface of the water or the water's edge depending on the species of mosquito. Within 2-3 days the eggs will hatch into larvae and eventually adults that look to feed.
Mosquitoes breed in stagnant, standing fresh water oftentimes found around homes and businesses. With temperatures increasing and heavy rain across Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, new breeding grounds are constantly being created - all of which is contributing to the growing mosquito populations in our communities.
"We have shown that in the northeast region of the U.S., overall mosquito abundance has increased annually and there have been multiple introductions of native and invasive species into the region in the previous 20 years."(nature.com)
There are a few simple ways to minimize the exposure of your home to these pests.
- Do a thorough spring clean-up.
- Survey your property for containers such as pots, kiddie pools, birdbaths, tires, and buckets and empty them.
- Clean out your gutters regularly, especially if you have a lot of leaf debris falling on your roof.
- When outside, wear loose, light-colored clothing that covers the skin to help keep mosquitoes from biting.
- Mosquitoes tend to gravitate to air pockets created by plants during daylight hours. Keeping vegetation on your property trimmed and frequently mowing the lawn can help reduce the mosquito population.
We highly recommend in addition to their home maintenance tips, that you also use safe, natural, and effective routine mosquito spray that eliminates mosquitoes and their eggs on contact. This will significantly reduce mosquito populations, while also control breeding. Pure Solutions offers an organic mosquito control solution called PROGAEA™ Tick & Mosquito which eliminates mosquitoes in all life-stages on your property. Additionally, over time, treated areas create a residual barrier protecting the property between routine treatments.
Suggest that your neighbors take these preventative steps as well, so your whole neighborhood can enjoy summer evenings. Happy Outdoorsing!